Total Pageviews

Monday, February 21, 2011

Acting White? The fuck does that mean?



I read an article entitled, "Acting White is the New Black," and I had no clue what that was supposed to mean. 

Growing up, I was always dubbed the 'the white girl.'  I was told I talk like a white girl, dress like a white girl, listen to white girl music and I basically act like a white girl.  What does that mean?  In every single case that I was addressed as a white girl, it was by someone who is black. 

Digging a little deeper, I decided to explore the ideal of "acting white."  Most African American people don't realize that comments like that hinder you from growth as an individual.  You set yourself up to fail if you identify all things good, with being white.  Speaking like a white girl meant that I spoke properly.  I didn't use "nigga" and "nah mean" at the end of every sentence (typical stereotype).  Dressing like a white girl meant that I didn't wear urban labels and I thought outside of the box when it came to fashion.  Listening to white girl music meant that I wasn't black enough because I don't necessarily know the words to a Jay Z song, but put on some Pink and I'm rocking out with my cock out. 

I think that this mentality is tied into days where if you wanted more for yourself or something a bit different, you have an air about you that makes you better than everyone else.  It makes you "bougie."  Individuality has no color.  We should really own the fact that we are capable of being educated, we are capable of acting and living outside of stereotypes, we are capable of being exactly who we are and not who we have been defined to be by society.  Next time someone tells you that you speak like a white person, ask that person how they feel about themself.  Are black people not capable of being educated and carrying on an intelligent conversation?  Love yourself enough to know the difference.  I'm not "acting white." We are doctors, lawyers, congressmen, singers, actors, actresses, engineers, professors, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, and now... presidents.  Don't limit yourself by living in these boxes.

1 comments:

I really liked this post and can remember a time in my life where people said I was acting white and always made to feel like I wasn't black enough. Thanks for this post

Post a Comment

Contact me

Want to reach me personally? Email 3Minds.PlanetMars@gmail.com!
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More