Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2011

Music, what happened to it?

I absolutely love music.  When I was younger, I found myself caught up with Sade, Anita Baker, Luther Vandross, Intro, Keith Washington, Tony Toni Tonee, Mint Condition.. and the list goes on.  To me, that was real music.  Music was in an authentic era where people created music because it was what they loved to do.  The motivation wasn't ONLY monitary, but it was also because artist wanted to share their soul with the fans. 

Through the years, the music industry changed drastically.  It became gimmicky.  People realized that becoming commercial artist is the way to make a quick buck and become mainstream.  I HATE commercial music.  There's no soul in it.  People start making "hits" instead of making music.  "Artist" began changing their style and personalities to make money instead of being true to themselves.  Now you have "artist" like Rihanna and Beyonce, who sing, dance, act, have a clothing line, perfume line and the list goes on.  While these ladies are great performers, their need and hunger to be on top of everything takes away from their craft.  Micheal Jackson is the best artist of our time and he never had to put out a clothing line or play the lead in a movie because that was not his passion.

I look at Rihanna specifically.  She's absolutely beautiful.  When she first came out, she was NOTHING like how she is now.  She came out and was marketed to the urban community (Pon di' Replay).  When that didn't work for her, her image changed.  She became more edgey.  Honestly, all Rihanna has is a pretty face and a banging body.  The image is not hers.  The songs she sings are not written by her.  Her style was given to her.  While her pockets are straight for the rest of her life, she got it all by being manufactured.  I much rather be true to myself than to be somebody's product. 

I begin to wonder if these "artist" do this for the love of music, or the love of fame and money.  Don't get me wrong, you should get paid for your craft, but when you begin all these other products because you are marketable and the public will feed into it, does it become a passion or is it simply a gimmick to get more of your fans money?

I appreciate REAL artist like Janelle Monae and Marsha Ambrosius who stick to their craft of writing and creating history.  All the real artist out there struggling to make it, stay true to yourself.  Don't sell out to the commercial gods out there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact me

Want to reach me personally? Email 3Minds.PlanetMars@gmail.com!
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More